LED Lighting—Good for Your Green Landscaping (and Your Wallet)
Adding the right lighting to your landscape can make it just as attractive during the evening hours as it is during the daytime. Why should you choose LED lights for your walkway, backyard, apartment complex, or any other landscaping project? Here are a few things that make LED lights the environmentally friendly choice.
- Efficiency – The first thing you notice about an incandescent bulb is the heat it generates when in use. LED lights don’t heat up like that. This is because they are about 90% efficient and all of that energy is converted into light rather than heat. If the lighting bill is $20, you know $18 of that went on actually lighting the lights instead of about half the bill turning into heat.
- Longevity – The lifespan of an LED bulb is about 11 years of continuous use. If you have your lights set only to come on after dark, you can get about 20 years out of your LED bulbs. That means less maintenance and less waste.
- Recyclable – LED bulbs don’t contain chemicals (like CFLs that contain small amounts of mercury). That means you can recycle your bulbs a couple of decades from now when they finally need to be replaced.
- Immediate Brightness – Unlike CFL bulbs that gradually light up over the course of a few seconds, LED bulbs turn on and off like a normal incandescent bulb and reach full brightness immediately.
- Less Voltage – Because LED bulbs use less voltage than an incandescent bulb, you can lower your outdoor lighting electric bill. Many LEDs can even be powered by the solar energy they collect during the day.
Doing Our Part to Keep the Earth Beautiful
At West Coast Trees, we are proud to do our part to keep Earth beautiful for generations to come. That’s why we provide tips for environmentally friendly landscaping, and we grow native plants and grasses in an environmentally friendly manner. To learn more about everything from organic landscaping to the best palm trees and desert shrubs to use for your project, contact us today at 619-518-9507.